Thursday, July 24, 2008

I may be getting closer!?

37 days till the BUCKEYES KICK off the season!!!!
Today was the day I have been trying to not look at on the calender for several weeks now.
Not because it is an old girlfriends birthday or anything like that!
The reason is because today was the first "Tempoish" run on my training schedule in almost 8 weeks. I have been really struggling with my running since Ironman Coeur D Alene. If it isn't my Achilles it is just the fact that I feel REALLY slow. So earlier this week I decided I had better get my shit together. I forced myself to do a fartlek type run on tuesday. with the knowledge that today I needed to be able to run some tempo miles today.
As I started out this morning, as usual it was 10000 degrees and humid. What is new? Just making me stronger. What if come race day the temps are like IMAZ this April? Then I will be so much tougher than everyone else out there. (and it is a good chance that it will be 100 degrees come race day in Nov). Anyway as I started out today I didn't feel to bad, as normal it takes about a mile for my Achilles to stop killing me and just go to a dull ache. So by the time I hit 1 1/2 miles into my 10 mile "tempo" run I was starting to believe. I figured if i could keep a even 7:00 pace for the warm up and cool down and get myself into the low 6's for the tempo portion I would have to accept it. Low and behold, tempo pace ended up being 6:19. WAY off from where I would normally be, but in my mind for today acceptable. It is a start in the right direction.
I will say that my swim felt like total shit afterwards, but hey I always swim like shit!!!
Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO ILLINI!! :)