Saturday, July 12, 2008

No Excuses!

So I wake up this morning somewhat excited , but a little concerned about my run that lay ahead of me!
You see, I am at the last day of my recovery period after Ironman Coeur D Alene, and I have been really itching to get out there and start running long again. The problem is my achilles is not getting better, so even though my energy levels, my legs, and my mind all are ready to hammer, it still hurts like hell after I do so.
I am not one to make excuses of why I can't work out, I actually find excuses for why I should workout, but the concern of the unknown keeps digging at me, should I take two weeks off from running? If I do and that doesn't help then I am two weeks behind in my training for my next Ironman, but if I keep training and it doesn't get better or actually gets worse then I am really screwed. See I don't have a true prolonged rest period scheduled until December of 2009. Lots of important races in between now and then.
So anyway, It kills me when I hear people with all their bullshit excuses of why they can't or won't exercise. So here I am with this beautiful summer morning in Phoenix out for my run, thinking about all this stuff with every step I take, and I turn down one of the streets on my saturday morning route, and on the other side of the street passes 1,2,3,4 kids on bikes, followed by a lady running with two German Sheppards, and I think to myself, shit if anyone has a good reason for not doing their workout it is her. I am sure it would be much more convenient for her to stay home on a hot, humid saturday morning, then to get 4 very young kids, and two hyper dogs together so she can go do her run around the neighborhood. In addition, seeing that we live in a large Mormon community, she likely has another 4 or 5 kids that she left at home! HA!!
So I guess the moral of this story is; quit making excuses and just get out there!!! You will be so much happier that you did!!!!

No comments: